Thursday, 1 November 2012

The Day After Halloween, Part II: The Next Year

The second annual after-Halloween blog. Less than amazing, more about big ideas and being lazy. But that is next week's blog post...maybe. More likely I'll be writing those same words twelve months from now in the third annual after-Halloween blog post. I digress.

The other night I had a dream that I was the father of a baby. I had forgotten about my baby, left it on a shelf, the night stand actually. It wasn't so much that I forgot about it as I didn't realize I had a baby. Then for some reason I remembered about it. I picked it up from the stand and promptly dropped it on the floor. Its head made the sound of a baseball thudding against the floor. Freaking out, I picked it up and cradled it in my arms. It was such an ugly baby, all naked and jaundiced, but I loved it because it was my baby.

Other people showed up but I don't remember any specifics.

What I'm trying to get at is, or at least my subconscious is now that I've had time to sit and think and force it into this metaphor, that I have, with help, created a thing, a horror movie month that has been perpetuated in some form or another for close to ten years. A horror movie every night for the month of October. It started out simple, just going to the video store. Then it evolved to include friends, a fully scheduled calendar and an open invitation, all culminating into a party on Halloween night with costumes and favours and prizes.

This year there was none of that. My heart wasn't in it. There were other factors, sure, but I had forgotten about the baby I didn't know I had. When I remembered, it was too late; I had dropped its squishy, pumpkiny head on the floor, seeds and orange-stringy guts everywhere. Next year I plan on frying those seeds.

Mmm...delicious head trauma, spicy pumpkin seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment