Tuesday, 10 March 2015

Physics Overload II

Think, Professor Eugenio, you lazy old brain-bag. This is easy stuff for us: explain why it's a good choice to devote your life to predicting and understanding how the leap of an itty bitty little atominiscule from one lightwave to another, entirely skipping and never occupying or passing through the space between, can open a a black hole, a void, in the universe. An emptiness that, like a vacuum, will suck in our entire solar system and destroy life as we know it. HA! What am I saying, we don't even "know" our universe. So unpredictable and unstable and unknowable. Oh we try. Heh, easy stuff...
But how can I tell them this in good conscience without enciting a FRENZY? The chances are incalculable - we just can't predict or prevent it. Ha ha. More optimism from old Raybolt Eugenio. I mean, there's nothing can be done so why worry, why try? Our actions are insignificant, entirely...insignificant (spoken defeatedly).
Oh, that's rich stuff. Here's what I want to say, "Why don't we all just walk out of this lecture hall, grab a pint and say to heck with it all? Cheers to the unknowable universe that I've spent my whole life studying and..." oh no. No, no, what nonsense I'm talking. What to say, really?
Black holes are a real threat in our present environmental climate. The actions we take on earth can impact and accelerate atomic-level interactions with infinitely cataclysmic consequences. You're here because you've asked yourselves, as humans and scientists, what can we do to prevent the advent of a quantum disaster?
Oh Hell, nothing. Black holes threaten our existence and yet our planet is but a speck in...uh...oh.

No comments:

Post a Comment